I’ve been reeling since the election. Most of why that is has to do with beliefs Trump demonstrates that I conflate with the people who voted for Trump. Many friends have asked to talk with me about the election and why I’m devastated, but I could not have those conversations yet. That the first woman who would have been an amazing president was not elected is NOT the issue. That the public held Clinton in contempt makes me sad - and that she won the popular vote by millions of votes is also not the point. Trump is the issue for me.
- Trump is a self-admitted sexual predator. If he treated any of my friends or friends’ daughter’s or relatives this way, I would support the women he assaulted without question and see that he pays for breaking the law. That people simply overlook his treatment of women is staggering to me. That the American public awarded him the highest office in the land rewards his atrocious behavior.
- People have a problem with the rising costs of Obamacare. Trump’s platform was to demolish Obamacare. If I did not have access to Obamacare subsidies in conjunction with my health insurance supplied as a stage actor when my husband was out of work, I might still be paying for the costs associated with the birth of my child. Though I understand costs are high, getting health care for the generalizable population of the United States has taken decades. People who have pre-existing conditions have been denied in the past and that is not happening now. I agree that changes have to be made to the current legislation, but annihilation would devastate many people’s lives and cost many lives.
- Trump objectifies women. His own daughter he talked about claiming that if he didn’t know her, he’d want to get with her. That’s not troubling? That’s supposed to be flattering? Of 10-year-olds, said he'd be dating them in 10 years. As a woman, I find the way he speaks about women offensive. He veils his remarks under the idea of being sick of political correctness. If his demeaning and dismissive behavior and words do not reveal respect for women, they are unfiltered misogyny.
- Trump promotes fear and hatred. Trump’s idea to build a wall is ridiculous. The areas of the U.S. border that have a wall have proven useless. That Trump was arrogant enough to boast that the Mexicans would pay for it earned a “Fuck You” from their past president (that’s a quote). He’s filled his cabinet with anti-Semitic (Jew haters), misogynistic (women haters), bigots (people of color haters and LGBTQ haters), to make his point. Women’s rights to abortion are going to be attacked, just as Pence dedicated his time to doing in his state. Why? Why is hate the answer? People who are educated and kind actually have a premonition that there’s going to be a civil war because of this man, and I’m not sure they’re wrong.
- Trump is not interested in running the country. He doesn’t attend daily briefings because he believes not that much can change in the world in a day. Really? You would think 9/11 would be enough to dismiss that way of thinking. I can name several world disasters and attacks/wars that would merit attention daily. But whatever.
- Trump lies. He makes up shit. This is not an exaggeration. I firmly believe he’s pathological (I do have a Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology so I can say this), but even if he’s not,his way of creating reality is dangerous and American Citizens will pay for his bullshit. His bullshit is not charming, nor does his saying something enough make it true. Regardless, people are buying it. Those coal miners are going to be pissed in a year because there’s no way to stop economic trends and turn back time. He’s not going to bring those jobs back – because he can’t. I’m sure someone tried to bring back horseless carriages, but that didn’t work either, did it?
- Trump is not consistent about anything. Integrity is important to me. Not all politicians have this attribute, but Trump doesn’t even know what the word means. He’s put so many small businesses out of business due to his “brilliant” business practices BY NOT PAYING THEM FOR THE WORK THEY DID. People think he’s smart because he’s got money. His dad made the money and Trump hasn’t lost it. Good for him. But a man who continually changes his mind daily with no rationalization or explanation is simply not to be trusted.
I'm still not sure if I can talk about these issues without becoming angry, and I won't apologize for my feelings. However, some friends asked after a post on Facebook and here is my answer. In summation, I want a president who is curious and interested in the world as a whole, who wants to protect and celebrate the diversity that makes this country great, who stands up for the people who don't have a voice, and who is smart enough to understand that politics requires making difficult decisions that requires putting the best interests of the people before personal wishes. Go live in the White House and do your job Mr. President Elect.
Copyright 2016 Dr. Heather L. Corwin