Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Romance is Alive and Well!

Where did I start to cultivate this idea that romance is a wonderful way to enjoy life?  Disney? As if that's the only way romance can bloom in a person - hah!  The more television I watch covering news and dramatic series, the more I become devastated by how cynical our culture has become.  Shows like Black Mirror (BBC) and even shows that are designed to make me laugh at the news (like John Oliver or The Daily Show) only serve to remind me that I live in a backward and negative world.

So what do I do to remain romantic?  Well, I read romance novels as much as possible.  I used to shy away from telling people this because I thought this pastime implied I was an idiot, though I don't actually think that's true of myself or my friends who also love reading romance novels.  What I love about these novels is the fact that the formula for love is clear and I know this book will have a happy ending.  Life doesn't work like that.  I don't care if the story is implausible and would never happen in a million years, the point is I get to enjoy the feelings of cheering a couple on to love because that's fun and inspiring!

Simple human kindness seems a romantic ideal and is behavior our fast paced society overlooks often, myself included.  I feel like I'd really like to be able to invite a little more kindness into my everyday, which makes me think of romance and people simply being courteous to one another. The Victorian era is a favorite in romance novels.  The time was not ideal and had many more problems than we focus on in these novels, but the reason so many romances are historical is because society has a set of rules that people lived by, including taking someone at his or her word.  That is a ridiculous idea these days because if you don't "get it in writing," the agreement is not lawfully supported.  Yet another realm of cynicism that our society requires.

Bottom Line: I like it when I am courteous to someone and they acknowledge that kindness.  The opposite is true that I enjoy when others do me a kindness that I acknowledge.   Simple, but not a commonly employed idea here in L.A.  This starts with me, and I vow to do my best to be kind (with an impish gleam in my eye) to those around me.  Here goes!!!

Happy New Year 2015!

Copyright 2014 Dr. Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment