Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Change Inspires Growth

As the holidays approach and a snow day extended our Thanksgiving break a day for our family, I'm reminded that every choice we make has many impacts.  What is often overlooked is the fact that change doesn't always come in the form of choice.  However, what you do with  or how your react to those things that happen help define your happiness.  Specifically, I'm referring to your life satisfaction.

I'll use the snow day as an example.  Now, our family had been together all day since Wednesday.  We didn't have much drama at home, we had play dates and hosted Thanksgiving.  When the snow came, we all were thankful for one more day together to play games (charades, Scrabble, Life, Duel, Lords of Waterdeep, etc.).  We could have been sick of each other and the change could have been frustrating, I'm sure it was for some families who were looking forward to getting back on routine.  We rolled with the change.  This doesn't always happen.

As some challenges in the form of change occur in your life, I encourage you to take the time to breathe, find a useful lesson that helps you see the change as one that helps you become a better person, and move forward.  When we dwell on things over which we have no control, we give away energy that could be used to make us happy.  I'm not saying this process is easy or even welcome at times.  I am suggesting that every time I have adjusted my perspective on events, I have found greater meaning and satisfaction in my life.  Let me know if this works for you too.

Happy Holidays!

Copyright 2018 Dr. Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment