Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Friends Lead the Way

This past weekend, a dear friend won a Golden Globe Award for her work in the television show TRANSPARENT.  Her name is Alexandra Billings (see photo right), and she is an amazing person for so many reasons including her deep love of living.  And yet... what I can't stop thinking is "if Alex can do it, so can I."

Sometimes I can't help but compare myself to others.  I cannot be Alex.  I cannot be you.  I can only be me - but because I know Alex, I know the world is not so small or full of impossibilities.  If Alex can do it, so can I.

Plus, Alex is an amazing teacher.  I had the luck and delight of taking her Steppenwolf West Viewpoints class in which I reveled as an artist!  Alex inspires, motivates, and holds a space that is safe and invigorating.  She's not defined by ONE talent, she has many.  If Alex can do it, so can I.

I know the work I do with students is deeply meaningful- and feeds my soul.  I love to act and dream of working on Downton Abby or any BBC endeavor.  (I'm smiling big at the thought!)  Alex is helping change the world through groundbreaking television.  I know I'll never be cast as a Transgender badass (like Alex) because  that's not me.  But I do know who I am and celebrate me.  So... if Alex can do it, so can I.
Copyright 2015 Dr. Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment