Saturday, January 17, 2015

Interviews Can Go Well

The feeling I want when I interview for the right University!
I've been on the hunt for a tenure track professorship for the past 6 years - longer than it took me to complete my Ph.D.  I had a few interviews in those years, but none of the positions were a fit for me for a variety of reasons.  This year, there are more openings in Acting and Movement (Actor Training/Theatre) positions throughout the U.S than the past 6 years combined!

Last year I was a finalist for a position that wasn't a good fit for me, though I tried to convince myself the job was ideal.  Thankfully, they didn't offer the position.  When they let me know that the job wasn't mine, I was so relieved I actually did a fist pump dance more commonly reserved for "celebrations."  It was a celebration because I was trying to ignore my inner voice that said, "RUN!"

This school year I've been honored to be interviewed at more than one college.  If you don't know this, the process is long for college hiring of professors, which usually takes one full year to hire for the following school year.  For one interview, I knew I wasn't a fit the moment I asked about research support or resources... after which they stared at me with a deer in the headlights look and said, "this is community college.  We don't do research."  Uhm...  I currently teach at Pasadena City College (a community college) and had terrific in house support and student participation for my study... so...  huh?  I think they heard, "I hate teaching, so how can I get out of it?"  Which makes me chuckle to think about - because I LOVE teaching!

I just had another online/video interview that, for the first time in forever (I've been watching a lot of FROZEN), is a terrific match.  Essentially I'm looking for an academic home where my colleagues are kind, passionate, still working in the field, and are excited to collaborate with me.  This place checks all the boxes!!  Now I wait to see if they're into me.  Plus, more suitors could be on the way!

What makes for your perfect place to work?

Copyright 2015 Dr. Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment