Thursday, May 13, 2010

Smiles

Living in Los Angeles is not like living in Chicago.  When I grew up in Chicago, people were kind, did their thing, and moved on.  Here in L.A., people seem to be more into their own world.  I attribute most of that to the narcissistic activity with film and television - but not everyone is like that.  And I love those people who remain present - who like to share smiles.

Many of these people are my friends, but that's not really who I'm talking about.  I'm talking about strangers you meet on the street who will make eye contact with you and share a smile, as if you both have a secret.  I think the secret is something like, "Life is neat, huh?"  Or some such ubiquitous thought.

The days that I'm crabby, those smiles are crucial for me.  On all days, the smile makes me feel good. 


Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment