Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Ask for Help

There are days that I magically believe that I can do it all.  Now, some days, I actually do get done everything on my long "to do" list, but not always.  Juggling a wellness studio, a full-time teaching load (at 2 colleges), an almost 2 year-old, authoring/creating my dissertation to complete my Ph.D., and my loving relationship with my husband can be more than tricky, it can be impossible.

This week I learned a valuable lesson...again.  I need to ask for help.  When my second draft of a chapter of my dissertation was returned to me with the encouragement to build a stronger structure, I almost fell over.  See, this paper is HUGE.  At present, it's 40 pages with 15 pages of citations.  I know this will change and grow (or shrink), but going back to the basics and creating a reverse outline just about ended me and my sunny disposition.

Until I reached out to friends for ideas.  Of course, I have smart and helpful friends.  One such friend suggested a dissertation writing support resource.  (Enter choirs of angels singing here!)  I contacted them and am on my way to getting the help I need to make this dissertation a better version of my thoughts.

Asking for help can be hard.  Sometimes I feel like I SHOULD be good at something.  I am good at many things.  And sometimes I need help.  Thank God for friends and limitations.  Both help me grow in ways I never expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment