Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Why Kindness Always Surprises Me

I have a few people in my life who endlessly surprise me with their compassion and honest concern for others.  One such person often gets accused of being an upstart because he actually leads others to fight for their rights and to make the world a better place.  He is truly an altruistic warrior.  It seems to me as I've witnessed people react to his actions that doing this makes some people feel inadequate or small and they lash out at him.

My first reaction to a situation is usually to sit back and assess, whereas the people I'm thinking of who are kind assume the people involved have good intentions.  While that point of view is not my first, I do wish sometimes that I had this belief.  How great would it be if I actually thought everyone was kind?  Clearly, my first thought after this one is, "well, couldn't lumping everyone as KIND be problematic too?"  Yep.

I think the lesson here is that borrowing ways to see the world can be useful in some instances and not others.  When I'm having a particularly trying day, I can borrow the kind outlook on life and see if that makes my day better.  On some occasions, I know it has.

Borrow some kindness today and see how that works for you!  I'd love to hear your experience!

Copyright 2014 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment