Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Are You Where You Want to Be?

I was lucky enough to grow up in the same house with many of the same friends in the same community - and I liked those people and that place.  Not everyone has this experience.  Now, as an adult, I'm the only one of the three children who has moved to live in other parts of the United States who has yet to return to Chicago to live permanently - and I don't think I will be doing that in the future (near or far).

So what questions do I ask myself to make sure I'm in the right place?
  • When I wake up, am I glad to be here?
  • Do I have access to the things I love to do here?
  • Does my home feel serene to me?
  • Do I have enough friends who I can call in need who I feel would come running?
  • Do people in my community value what I do?
  • Do I feel a part of a community?
  • Is there somewhere else I think I would be happier?
The last question is a trick question.  I think it's always easy to fantasize about places as you would like for them to be rather than as they are.  However, without asking this question along with the others, I don't think I would be as happy as I am (minus traffic - GUH), nor would I be as clear about the elements I love in my life so I can be sure to incorporate those things throughout my life.

How's your life going?

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment