Thursday, April 28, 2011

Childhood Sighs

You know how when you make your bed with fresh linens (maybe you even hung them outside to dry!) and you take your shower (or bath!) before you go to bed in your clean sheets...and you just feel so cozy and clean?  I love that feeling!  Another feeling I love is when I am talking to my husband and he is listening to me closely.  I know he's listening because he makes a comment that sums up my story perfectly.  He's great like that.

On the other hand when I was growing up, I often felt like I was not heard.  I don't know if some of that is because I am a twin or because my mom was not good at multitasking, or whatever, I just know that's how I felt.  As I'm going through the world, I'm thinking about the way I remember being as a child and I want to address and conquer, if I can, the problems I faced as a child.

One way for me to do that is to have ONE child.  I know many people might believe the old stigma (that was disproven scientifically) that only children are spoiled.  Well, if a child whose needs are met is spoiled, I am IN!  I want my little girl to be heard.  I don't want to split my focus.  I don't want her to feel like an afterthought.  I don't want her to have the theme in her life am I enough?...like I do.

Parenting is not a perfect art - neither is being a wife and friend.  But, I want to do the best job I know how with the tools I have.  And that means I'm having one child.  As a choice.

Copyright 2011 Heather Corwin


No comments:

Post a Comment