Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Help Others Heal

Did you know you can help someone feel better just by listening to them?  Something I've learned over the years is that I don't have all the answers and people don't necessarily value me because of what golden advice I might offer.  They come to me because I listen and try not to judge.

We all make mistakes.  Some are larger than others.  If we're lucky, we contemplate and think through the options before deciding how to proceed - which avoids mistakes.  Well, that's not always possible and sometimes thinking is what got us in trouble in the first place!

When I make a mistake, I often want to shut down or run.  Since either of those two options take me away from living and making choices that give me the results I crave, I have learned to be more forgiving of myself.  This self-compassion helps me practice compassion for others.

Which brings me to my point. I think compassion is the root of healing.  Try it on yourself and others and let me know if I'm on to something!

Copyright 2013 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment