Monday, May 30, 2011

Swearing...I Can't as a Mom

Well, hell.  I love swearing.  Though I'm considering giving it up because I am a new mom.  However, I reserve the right to use strong language as a professor (sometimes swearing helps me make a point when teaching acting).  Muthafuckah!  Okay, I don't usually use that one or G.D.  Jeez, the last time I used G.D. was when I was in my twenties, I had moved to Nashville, and cussed in a supermarket near an old craggy woman -- who clutched her chest at my profanity.  I thought I almost killed her.  That was the last time I carelessly let that swear word fly.

Strong language is so odd, isn't it?  We give power to a series of sounds that can be offensive to some and like old friends to others.  I remember fondly getting used to saying the word "hell."  I was in girl scouts, in 8th grade, and at a dude ranch retreat with some of my closest friends.  I said "hell" every other word.  I felt like I was all powerful and an adult, a heady feeling. Please note Lady Pac Man was the big new thing at this time.

I like swearing.  I like the way it tastes in my mouth.  I like the way it sounds.  I like that when I swear it's usually playfully - not out of anger.  I like that if I hurt myself on something I have a great word to accompany my anguish.  I like that when I swear you can tell I'm from Chicago.  Sigh.  Well...I guess I'm going to have to come up with my own renditions of strong language as a mom.  Boy, I already miss the F bomb cracking from my lips... Perhaps I shall defer to the classic expletive in GHOST BUSTERS: "mother puss bucket!"

Copyright 2011 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment