Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Time is Money

Paying for a session of time that you reserved is absolutely understandable when you attend the appointment and enjoy the service, but what about when you forget?  Or your car breaks down?  Or you are 20 minutes late?  Or (insert your excuse here)?

If you've ever known someone who works for themselves, owns her own business, you know that if the person doesn't work, the person doesn't get paid.  So, if a person doesn't show up who booked an appointment, the business person suffers as a result.  That's why many owner/operators have a policy that requires 24 hours notice for cancellation or rescheduling.

As an owner/operator, I have a heart and have a few exceptions to my rule.  However, the time that is reserved for the client is precious.  That time does not go to another, it is set aside especially for the client at the client's request.  You know, sometimes mistakes happen and people forget.  AND that translates to the owner/operator taking a financial hit that was unexpected and could have been avoided if the client had cancelled with enough time for the owner to fill the slot with another client.

I never enjoy enforcing my own rule when people forget or have a car break down or whatever.  When I am the person who misses an appointment, I don't like paying for a service I didn't receive.   However, the policies are clear and laid out from the beginning so I know what I'm getting into and so do my clients.  I can say I'm slightly more fierce about my policy these days because I have more responsibility.  So...do what you can to be on time and present for your appointments.  And when you cannot make your appointment on time or you forget, please gracefully fulfill your agreement which is: when you reserve someone's time, you pay him or her for the privilege of doing so.

Copyright 2012 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment