Thursday, January 26, 2012

To Speak or Shut Up

In this information age and the validation of experiences through writing and sharing through online forums such as Yelp, Facebook, or Blogger, are there times when it's better to just shut up and not share your thoughts?

Well, I think I may have found an instance to shut up.  Recently I went to a few yoga classes where a friend/colleague of mine works.  The classes were not as I would wish; I'm very clear on the elements I enjoy when being in a class.  So I thought I would exercise my online voice and let my experience be known.  Well, I had already shared my experience with my friend earlier in the week, so I knew my sharing would not be a surprise.  In cases like this, which is a mediocre review, I don't like to surprise anyone.

My dislikes that earned an average review were:

  • climate control (68-70 degrees) - someone might LOVE this
  • class led by instructor and no adjustments given (not my preference) - again, someone might LOVE this
  • too many people in the classroom (not my preference)

My friend emailed me incensed by my lack of support and wanted to know why I would do such a thing.  I think his beef was do such a thing "publicly."  I'm torn.  I value my friendship more than the review, so I've offered to remove the review to save the friendship - though I do wonder if the damage is already and cannot be undone.

What I weighed in this contemplation was the value of the relationship with my colleague versus my want to share my experience.  My real life relationships are more important than expressing myself to an anonymous audience.  What would you do?

Copywright 2012 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment