Sunday, March 7, 2010

Classes Keep You Fresh

After earning an M.F.A. and a B.F.A. in theatre, I felt burnt out. Training or taking another class, even though I love classes, just seemed like a burden.

And then I met Alexandra Billings of Steppenwolf West who teaches Viewpoints. At FSU/Asolo Conservatory, while earning my M.F.A. I apprenticed movement expert Margaret Eginton because I find movement to be a delightful way to stay out of my head and dive into a role viscerally. Alex takes that diving to a whole new level.

I was introduced to Viewpoints in grad school, but the Viewpoints never made sense - because I don't think they made sense to my teacher. I read Anne Bogart and Tina Landau's books on Viewpoints and it still seemed murky. Alex cleared the murk and added shimmer!

Not only is Alex incredible at conveying the purpose of the Viewpoints to her students, she also puts the onus of learning on the student without judgment. That makes her one of the best teachers I've had, and I've been a professional student for 30+ (cough) years.

If you're feeling stuck or heady as an actor, or you are just looking for inspiration, do yourself a favor and take Alex's class. It's affordable -- and inspirational. DO IT. DO IT NOW!

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment