Saturday, March 20, 2010

Working Too Hard

In this society that rewards over-achievers and people who sacrifice personal lives, when do people get to rest? When I moved to L.A., I was thrilled by the vast and rich resources here including experts in almost any field, artists of all ilks, and a melting pot of cultures and generations. I must admit, though I grew up in Chicago, the last place I lived was a rural town in Ohio. That sweet small town did not boast much diversity... of anything.

However, I did learn something of a gift in Ohio. Though I did not enjoy the ability to learn from masters, have throngs of friends, or wonder continually "where did the time go?", I did have solitude to contemplate my life. I lived there two years and it felt like 10 - but I never felt my life was flying before my eyes. I actually joked with my husband the other day that we should visit Ohio because it always felt like time stood still there -- because we both need a rest.

So what is it about L.A. versus Ohio that makes time seem so different? Commuting to anything in L.A. requires a commitment of time and energy. Driving, well - wading through traffic - is not usually my favorite part of the day. Yesterday alone I heard two T-bone thumps of accidents in the span of 20 minutes.

The biggest problem I see with living in Los Angeles (drum roll) is all the opportunity inspires me to over-commit, and then I struggle to get it all done. My tendency to over-commit has led to multiple migraines headaches, restless nights of sleeping, nightmares, tension, and occasionally bitchy behavior.

What are the options? DO LESS. Pick the things you love to do, promise yourself a solitude date where you don't do ANYTHING for at least a few hours of every week (aside from one FULL DAY OFF), and start telling people NO. When life isn't fun, revive the important and joyful things! Your life is made up of moments; are you creating the moments you will cherish?

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment