Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spritiual Practice... Really?

Mr. Funny Bunny Easter Gift Tower of Chocolate and Candy Treats
Easter is Sunday and I am reminded of the millions of people who are commonly known as "C & E-ers."  These are the people who go to church on Christmas and Easter.  Right now, I am one of them.  Please note, I'm not about to make you feel guilty for ANYTHING - that's not how I roll.  The point here is that most psychologists agree that a spiritual practice, regardless of the belief system, is good to maintain happiness.

So what would this mean to you?  Every person needs to be included in a community.  This is how we are wired to live and succeed.  Ideally, our spiritual community will offer guidance, support, and encouragement during rough times and during exciting times.  Some people find this type of support in casts of shows, at work, or in other types of groups, but church (of any kind) can offer a specific nurturing of the soul that is not common to these other relationships.

Currently, I am on a quest to find a spiritual community.  I have had many struggles with organized religion, I grew up Evangelical, and have been a Buddhist for many years.  I believe in God and the many forms and views of this holy entity, not a belief common in the Christian community.  I think faith should inspire, forgive, offer hope, and encourage a person to strive to be better.  Until I find a spiritual community that offers this, I will keep looking.

If you have found your own spiritual practice and community, celebrate them!  You are among souls who will help you along your path.  If you are still searching or practicing mindfulness or something else instead of religion or faith, kudos.  There are so many ways to practice spirituality, embrace YOUR way and commit to it.

The wonder of life is all around us.  Currently, that is my church.  Happy Easter!

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin
The Wisdom of No Escape: And the Path of Loving-Kindness (Shambhala Library)
Repenting of Religion: Turning from Judgment to the Love of GodHow to Practice : The Way to a Meaningful LifeThe Miracle of MindfulnessLiving Buddha, Living ChristTaking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and FearsLetters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity



No comments:

Post a Comment