Friday, March 19, 2010

Transplant to L.A.

Yesterday I was transplanting a huge lemon bush from my neighbor's yard to mine (what a great gift!) and it occurred to me that many elements are necessary to uproot from the place where you have sprouted and lived for years.

For example, much of the root system of the shrub is disturbed or gone because the act of digging it up is tough when it is near a wall. Most of us are near a wall when we decide to move. Plus, for a successful transplant, the top of the plant needs to be removed so that the depth of the root matches the height of the plant. Transplanting anything is shocking to the organism, so to give the plant its best chance to adapt in its new home means cutting it down to a size where it can start again. Uhm... I have to point out the lemons to lemonade reference (groan here).

I have made several moves in my lifetime, 3 were cross country. Whenever I did move, I did an extreme "cutting of the fat" in my life and rid myself of items and things that were not necessary to my life.

Though you may not have the formidable goal of moving anytime soon, take time to notice your root system (people in your life), how you are living, where you are living, to make sure all of these elements are working for you. Every new season gives us a chance to make sure we are thriving - or make the changes necessary to thrive! Happy Spring!

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment