Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Eating Every Day... Live Long and Prosper?

Vegetarian 5-Ingredient GourmetTime to prepare food is rare, and I know that what I eat will directly effect how long I live and how well I live.  But why are vegetables so expensive?  And why does cooking take so much TIME?  AHA!  Have I got a treat for you! 

My aunt, who was almost a nun before she met my uncle, was a vegetarian for years.  After my bemoaning the difficulty of making healthy dishes that were both tasty and quick, she took the time to mail me The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet by Nava Atlas (to right).  Let me tell you something, I was skeptical... and then I tried a recipe.

The title is no joke, you only need to get 5 ingredients and most of the recipes are under 30 minutes prep and cook time.  If you have high cholesterol, or are just interested in maintaining low fat intake, each recipe is coupled with calorie counts and fat grams.  Plus, there are vegan options.  Brilliant!

My favorite TOFU AND SWEET POTATO CURRY (this is savory, not hot):
You'll need:
  2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes
  1 pound firm tofu, well drained and dried
  one 14 to 16 ounce can low-sodium stewed tomatoes, chopped, with liquid
  1 to 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder, or to taste
  4 ounces arugula or baby spinach, well rinsed


1.  Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes in their skins until done but still firm.  When cool enough to handle, peel, and cut into large dice.
2. Combine the tofu, tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon of the curry powder in a stir-fry pan or wide skillet.  Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
3.  Add the diced sweet potato and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
4.  Add the arugula, cover, and cook very briefly, just until it wilts slightly.  Taste and season with more curry if desired.  Season with salt and serve.

Calories: 159, Total fat: 4g, Protein: 8g, Carbohydrate: 22g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 21mg

Bon Appetit!

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, In A Five-Ring BinderClear Solutions Jumbo Cookbook Holder

No comments:

Post a Comment