Monday, April 5, 2010

Fuzzy Love

When I was growing up, my mother claimed to have allergies to animals except birds, so I had parakeets and cockatiels.  In junior high, I learned how to train them and my birds could do all sorts of cool stuff!  As an adult, I am proud to say I have wonderful fuzzy love in the form of a black and brown tabby cat (part Maine Coon Cat) named Stinky.

Animals are wondrous creatures.  They don't talk, thought sometimes it may seem like they do.  Stinky loves love - giving and receiving.  In fact, he more often reminds me of a dog because he'll be waiting for me when I arrive home, he'll come when I call him (most of the time), and he adores/demands being pet at long length.
This Is the Maine Coon Cat
Stinky has been my constant companion for the past 18 years with few challenges.  He's healthy and I expect him to live another bunch of years.  We joke that this house is really his retirement home because he goes out into the backyard garden and suns himself with no impulse to try to get out of the yard.  Yesterday, I was enjoying watching how soundly he sleeps in the sun - on gravel.

If you can't have an animal and just want a fix of fuzzy love, there are many shelters to visit including: 



Not every person loves animals, but I sure do.  Stinky reminds me how to love purley, be in the moment, and enjoy compainionship.  No wonder pets have proven to help people have longer, richer lives. 

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin
Encyclopedia of Cat BreedsCats (Smithsonian Handbooks)

No comments:

Post a Comment