Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Hummingbirds are Magical Creatures

Stokes Hummingbird Book : The Complete Guide to Attracting, Identifying, and Enjoying HummingbirdsDid you know they make a high pitched squeak when they fly?  It sort of sounds like an alternator going out on a car, but much quieter.  Seriously.

I love hummingbirds.  I've loved their tiny little colorful bodies, needle beaks, and magical invisible wings since I was little.  I have a few feeders out back, and I've yet to master the right sugar/water ratio, but I'm working on it. 

Do you have a tiny creature you love?  In truth, I also love toads, which are in many ways opposite of hummingbirds.  I would play with these toads (when in the north woods of WI in the summer), which were much more compelling than frogs in my 5-year-old brain.  They are brown, don't move too quickly, are not uppity, and blend in so well to their environment that they seem magical to me - just like hummingbirds. 

Though I don't think southern California is home to many toads, it is home to many hummingbirds.  When I'm eager to take in a natural inspiration, hummingbirds do the trick every time! 

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin
Avant Garden 8110-3 Looking Glass Hummingbird Feeder

No comments:

Post a Comment