Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Addendum

Well, folks, my ingrained fear of organized religion made for an interesting morning.  I did, in fact, attend a new local church with my husband.  It was fine - no one condemned other faiths and the sermon was not pilled up in a pedantic frenzy with bows.  Thank God.

My patient husband and I walked to church.  Walking helped dissipate some of the unease in my stomach.  I was bracing for the waves of guilt that would be inflicted upon me by others - they would magically see I had not been to church in a LONG time.  (I have an active imagination that does not always serve me kindly).  People were welcoming; it was a small congregation.  I just didn't feel at home.  But I never feel at home in a church presently.  I'm working on that.

You see, I'm aware that though I yearn for spiritual support and community, I have deep rooted animosity toward organized religion.  My family has wielded religion (loosely veiled judgment) against me in the past, friends have used it as a shield of morality when attacking others unlike them, and I have used it against myself to prove to myself how unworthy I am to call myself a good person.  Now, these are rare circumstances, but they leave a bad taste in my mouth.

As I ready myself to host friends on this celebrated and holy day of hope and rebirth, I am looking at what is important to me in this day.  I can choose to work through the challenges that will be with me forever (and give myself a break), or I can run from the areas of my life that challenge me.  No coward here, I face the fear.  With my friends and family, who are all imperfect like me, we can weather the storms with love and compassion.  Happy Easter!

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

No comments:

Post a Comment