Thursday, April 15, 2010

Friends Help You Through Everything

On Angels Wings: Personal Stories About the Passing Away of Beloved Animal CompanionsYesterday I lived through letting go of one of the dearest creatures who has shared my life.  I've never had to put an animal to sleep before and there were so many mixed emotions for me.  I drew great comfort from friends who understood my position and offered support.


So we were sitting in my living room, Stinky, my very intuitive friend, and myself, and she told me he was ready to go.  Now, this I already knew, but hearing it is tremendously validating and comforting.  I could tell by the way he looked at me it was time, and he loved me and wasn't scared.  She brought over lemon verbena leaves from her yard and made tea bags for Doug and myself for afterward, brought candles in a bowl she made, a lovely little box for a snippet of his fur and a whisker for me to keep, and an assortment of spices to throw on a fire to help him and us let him pass.

Before he left, my cat and I had a great day.  Stinky and I sat and sunned ourselves on the deck yesterday, I let him lick out my cereal bowl when I was done (his last supper) which is something I used to do when he was younger, and I held him as he slept much of the day yesterday.  The biggest pillar of all for me yesterday was my husband.  He came home with lily plants because Stinky used to eat them in our yard.  We will plant those next to his grave.  My biggest comfort is knowing Stinky was loved deeply by many.  He stole my husband's heart.

Knowing it's time and letting go are two very different things.  I know I will look for Stinky around the corner for a long time to come, he's been with me my entire adult life (18 years).  I shared many wonderful years with my sweet fuzz along with many amazing memories.  My wish?  That he come back in another cat to be mine again.

Huge thanks to those of you who offered your prayers and thoughts - even if you didn't tell me directly.

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

2 comments:

  1. Dear Heather,
    Blessings to your kitty as he passes into the next phase of his journey. He was a joy to know whenever I visited, and a lovely, warm being. I will really miss seeing him, and can still feel his peaceful presence.
    Lots of love and light, SR

    ReplyDelete