Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Silence Can Nurture

Reclaiming Vitality and Presence: Sensory Awareness as a Practice for LifeDo you remember the deafening silence when the electricity goes out?  The first time I experienced the power going out, I was startled by how quiet the world seemed.  I loved it!  I didn't hear any subtle high pitched noises, no whirring, and no humming.  And then I noticed something else, my nervous system settled and I felt a calmness I didn't know existed.  I feel confident this is why I like to go into the woods and listen.

Think about it!  We have so many gadgets that plug in and make noise: computers, phones, televisions, stereos, refrigerators, microwaves, printers, faxes, fountains, air purifiers, central heat and air... the list is endless!  I'm grateful for these conveniences, and they have a presence that makes noise.  Plus, cars rumble; some more than others.  One of the reasons I purchased my Prius is for the silence and stillness I can enjoy when the gas engine disengages.  Heaven!

To cultivate silence and stillness in your life, you might try going swimming and go underwater.  There you have the double benefit of simulating prenatal experience with pure silence.  If you don't have a pool, a bath tub (and I add plenty of suds) will do.  

True silence is the rest of the mind; 
it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, 
nourishment and refreshment.  
~William Penn

Silence is the true friend that never betrays.  
~Confucius

Silence is a source of great strength.  
Tao Te Ching~Lao Tzu 

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin 

No comments:

Post a Comment