Saturday, April 3, 2010

Girlfriends are Great

It's chilly out, dark, and quiet.  A perfect evening to call a friend!  Nights like this really hit home how much I have moved around.  Uprooting has deeply affected my ability to nurture and maintain historical friendships.  I am lucky enough to remain in contact with some of my friends from high school.  Not just acquaintances, these people know me.  History cannot be fabricated or replaced.  And I need local friends.  Friends to call up to laugh with, to meet for a movie, coffee or breakfast, and to do fun activities with.

Sadly, with the hurdles of time zones and children, the likelihood of me picking up the phone after 8pm to phone friends in Chicago (10pm there) is unlikely out of respect, and it's usually the only time I can cozy up to a phone.  Here many friends have children and I don't feel comfortable calling after 8pm. 

A wise person who shared tea with me this week reminded me that friendship is an activity - I have to put into it what I wish to get out of it.  So I need to choose friends and apply myself.  I am responsible for my happiness.

My plan?  I'm calling a local friend with a good heart and making a friendship date.  It's time to stop blaming moving around so much for not having heaps of great friends to call at midnight (if I needed to).  I'm making the effort - because girlfriends are great.

Copyright 2010 Heather Corwin

Friendship Poems (Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

No comments:

Post a Comment